Date Theme: In honor of the 2012 Summer Olympics Opening Ceremony tonight, this week’s date night theme is….you guessed it, THE OLYMPICS! So, don your red, white and blue and get ready for this epic night! May the odds be ever in your favor!
Music: None other than the Olympics Theme Song, duh! Play this song on blast after you have both gotten dressed in your Olympics gear. Dress in separate rooms and make an exciting entrance to the beat. Go all out! I recommend knee socks, sweatbands, athletic shorts and face painting. Take fun pictures to match your personalized Olympic Frame!
If you’re kind of a low-key couple, the sprint option is for you. Put on your drinking pants (red, white and blue of course), paint each other’s faces with the flag and “USA,” and grab your drink of choice. The Olympics Opening Ceremonies Drinking Game is sure to bring some excitement as you watch the opening ceremonies together. This could also be a great double date!
Opening Ceremonies Drinking Game:
Here’s how to play:
Take One Drink When…
- The Beijing Olympics are mentioned
- A country whose name ends in “stan” appears
- There is an aerial shot of the stadium
- A spectator or athlete cries
- The 1948 London Olympics is mentioned
- You hear a commentator say “This is what the Olympics is all about.”
- Any mention of the opening ceremonies outfit designs
- There is a camera shot of an athlete you find attractive
Take Five Drinks (for the Olympic Rings) When..
- A camera shot of someone famous in the crowd (British Royal Family)
- A mistake happens in the ceremonies
- There is a country you’ve never heard of
- There is a flag with more than four colors
- There is a camera shot of a country you chose to cheer for
Take a shot (or finish your beer) When…
- You call your boyfriend/girlfriend out on the spelling of a country’s name (limit one time unless you’re really into getting wasted.) If your partner can spell the country correctly (without looking of course), you must finish your drink/take a shot, if spelled incorrectly, your partner drinks.
- A nation has less than ten athletes
- Someone falls
- The torch fails to light
If you’re competitive but don’t want to leave the house or anything too physical, this option is for you. Create your own house Olympics. Your household Olympics can include any of the following events (mix, match or make your own!) Many of these events are Minute-to-Win-It inspired. We chose our favorites, for more, go here.
- Stick the Landing (Gymnastics): Toss a water bottle onto a table and get it to land upright.
- Paper Toss (Basketball): Crumple up a piece of paper and shoot it into the trash from a determined distance. We did best out of 10 shots.
- Obscure Country Spelling Bee: Place the names of 5-10 obscure Olympic delegates in a hat and challenge your partner to spell them correctly (Andorra, Azerbaijan, Bahrain, Bhutan, Burundi, Dijibouti, Eritrea, Kazakhstan, Kiribati, Kyrgyzstan, Liechtenstein, Seychelles, Tajikistan, Uzbekistan.)
- Shoe Toss (Archery): Toss a show onto a table using only one foot.
- Blow to the Goal (Soccer): Set up 8 empty glass bottles upside down. Blow a ping pong ball across the surface landing it in a shot glass at the end. You could also modify this to create an obstacle course that you must blow the ping pong ball around to end in the sideways shot glass.
- Flip Cup: Flip a cup at the end of a table onto a bottle as many times as you can in one minute.
If you and your partner are athletic and love to play sports, have an actual outdoors mini-Olympics. Choose one or all of the below events. These are our favorite events:
- Canoe/Kayak Race
- Table Tennis
At the end of your Olympics, determine the winner (Gold or Silver). Have these gifts personalized to commemorate your Summer 2012 Olympic Date.
Prizes: What are the Olympics without the medals? For the winner, have these great gifts personalized to remember this special day you shared together.
Whoever wins gold will be excited to place first with this white wine set up for grabs. Be sure to have it engraved with the letter of your future last name. Fill these glasses with that sweet, golden liquid as a finishing touch.
For second prize, this silver heart keychain will be the perfect way to commemorate this special day.
This picture frame will be something you’ll both love (since no one came in 3rd). Use the picture you snapped of the two of you in your Olympic gear. This brilliant red frame will be the perfect backdrop to hold the memory of this exciting night!
- If you were to participate in a summer Olympic event, what would it be?
- What sports did you play in college/track, which were you were the best at?
- Have you ever received any medals/trophies/awards? What were they?
- If you were to give an Olympic medal to each other, what would it be for?
- What Olympic event would you like to be there in person to watch? Why?
- What country would you want to travel to for the Olympics?
- What will be your “country to cheer for” this Summer Olympics?
Meal: ‘Merica. After all these events/drinking, you’re going to have an appetite. What is more American than the burger? Show your patriotism by making this burger with a special twist. The recipe we found also has sweet potato fries…we were like, perfect!
Author: Leslie Green – The Hungry Housewife
- 1 lb Ground Beef
- 4 Sweetbay Supermarket Bakery Sesame Hamburger Buns, toasted
- 2 oz. Hannaford Colby Jack Cheese (1/4 block), sliced in thin slices
- 4 leafs Red Lettuce
- 1 Small Tomato,sliced
- 1 Avocado, pitted, removed from skin and sliced
- Sweet Potato Fries
- 2 small Sweet Potatoes,washed (about 1 pound)
- 1 tablespoon Vegetable Oil
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Pepper
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 Garlic Clove, minced
- Zest of 1 Lemon
- 1/2 tablespoon Lemon Juice(the juice from 1/2 lemon)
- 4 drops Hot Sauce
- Pinch of pepper
- In a small bowl mix together the mayonnaise, garlic, lemon zest, lemon juice, hot sauce and pepper.
- Cover with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator.
- The aioli can be made a day in advance.
- Preheat the oven to 450
- Line a baking sheet with non-stick foil or parchment paper.
- Cut the sweet potatoes into thin french fry shaped sticks.
- Place them in a bowl and toss with the oil, salt and pepper.
- Arrange them on the prepared baking sheet so they are not touching.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, turning over halfway through cooking.
- Form the ground beef into 4 equal sized patties.
- Season with desired amount of salt and pepper
- In a large skillet over medium high heat, cook the hamburgers for about 4 minutes per side or to your desired doneness.
- Add the cheese to the tops during the last minute of cooking to allow it to melt.
- Spread the top of each bun with 1 tablespoon aioli.
- Place a piece of lettuce on each bun.
- Add a slice of tomato
- Add the hamburger.
- Top with the avocado slices.
- Add the bun with the aioli to the top.
Sweet Potato Fries will not be as crunchy as a regular french fry.
The hamburgers can also be cooked on an outdoor grill.
Drink: To go with our delicious avocado burger, we would recommend a crisp Sam Adams summer…or this really nifty drink. Choose your favorite bottle of champagne, pop the bottle and add some colored lifesavers to represent the Olympic rings. Voila!
How did it go? Let us know! We’d love to hear from you.
If you loved our gold, medal and bronze personalized prizes, you can find them for purchase at: A Gift Personalized.